Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic Affairs)
Prof. Benon C. Basheka
Deputy VC Academic Affairs
The purpose of this office is to provide leadership and coordination of teaching, research and publications matters including policy and standards. The DVC-AA Assists the Vice-Chancellor in the performance of his or her functions and in that regard is responsible for the Academic Affairs of the University.
In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor the DVC-(AA) performs the functions of Vice-Chancellor. The DVC-AA is responsible to the Vice Chancellor, the Chancellor and the University Council. In turn, the DVC-AA is responsible for the Academic Registrar, Director/ Graduate Training, Director/ Research and Publications, Deans of Faculties or Schools, Directors of Institutes, Colleges or other academic bodies and the Deputy Director/ Quality Assurance.
Duties & Responsibilities
In line with the relevant laws, the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs shall be the First Deputy Vice-Chancellor and shall:
- Assist the Vice-Chancellor in the performance of his or her functions and in that regard be responsible for the Academic Affairs of the University.
- In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor performs the functions of Vice-Chancellor.
- Initiates, obtains approval of and promotes policies, plans and programs that enhance the academic and professional excellence of the University.
- Oversees the development, implementation and review of the policy framework for monitoring the quality, standards and management of the University’s academic programs.
- Establishes systems for the planning, development and review of undergraduate, post graduate, research programs and any other academic programs of the University.
- Oversees the selection and admission of students.
- Initiates and coordinates the development and review of curricula for academic programs offered at the University.
- Monitors compliance in setting and marking all examinations in accordance with the established regulations.
- Establishes systems for students’ timely completion of academic programmes.
- Promotes partnerships and networking for academic growth and development in the University.
- Performs such other functions that may be delegated to him or her by the Vice Chancellor or assigned by the University Council.
Professor Benon C. Basheka (PhD, Makerere University and PhD, University of Dar es salaam) is the Professor of Governance and the first Deputy Vice Chancellor and in charge of academic affairs at Kabale University. Prof Basheka has a multidisciplinary academic background with two PhDs, two Master’s Degrees, Two postgraduate Diplomas and One Bachelor’s Degree. He has a PhD in Political Science and Public Administration (coursework and dissertation) from the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania where he specialized in Public Governance, Policy Management and Public Financial Management. His second PhD is in Educational Administration, Planning and Management (coursework and dissertation) obtained from Makerere University where he specialized in Higher Education Governance and Reforms. Professor Basheka has a Master’s Degree in Social Sector Planning and Management from Makerere University with a specialty in University Quality Assurance Management systems and a second Master’s degree in Project Management from Uganda Management Institute with a specialty in Program design and evaluation. Basheka equally has a Postgraduate Diploma in Project planning and Management from Uganda Management Institute and a graduate diploma in procurement and supply from the Chartered institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS-United Kingdom). Basheka had his undergraduate training in Political Science and Public Administration from Makerere University where he obtained a second-class upper division degree. He is a third year Law student in his pursuit of a Bachelor’s in Law (LLB).
Professor Basheka is an accomplished academic leader, researcher, administrator and management consultant. Basheka still serves as a Professor of Governance in the Department of Governance within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Kabale University. He also holds the position of an Extra-Ordinary Professor at the School of Business and Governance of the North-West University (NWS) Business School in South Africa (January 2020-December 2023). He is also a visiting Professor and Research fellow at the School of Public Management, Governance and Public Policy in the College of Economics and Management Sciences at the University of Johannesburg in South Africa.
Until August 31st 2019, he served as a Professor and Vice Chancellor of Uganda Technology and Management University (UTAMU); a position he diligently and meticulously executed for close to 5 years. He oversaw the growth of the University in terms of student numbers, financial revenue, research productivity, student completion rates, projects and partnerships and university ranking. He was the leading academic and researcher alongside his administrative responsibilities. He was in charge of the research portfolio of the university. Professor Basheka during his term introduced the international journal of technology and management as the major research outlet for the university and he personally spearheaded the annual conference on technology and management. Graduate completion rates during his service was the highest and he set up vibrant management and administrative systems and structures. Performance reporting in all activities was highly emphasized. He oversaw the growth and robustness of the School of Business and Management which became the best managed school and contributor to the University revenue. He personally oversaw the UTAMU-MUST doctoral program where more than 16 students completed on record time. He supervised more than 10 PhD students to successful completion under this collaboration. More details can be accessed in his CV attached or at his personal website: www.benonbasheka.com.
Phone Contacts: +256782459354