Senior Assistant Bursar
The finance department is one of the administrative departments of the University. It is headed by the University Bursar in accordance with section 36 of the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001 (as amended) hereinafter abbreviated as UOTIA.
The overall mandate of the office of the University Bursar as established under section 36 of UOTIA is financial administration and planning of the University. This mandate includes Planning, budgeting and budget management, revenue mobilization, financial accounting, expenditure management, financial reporting and accountability in line with the Constitution of Republic of Uganda, the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001, Public Finance Management Act 2015, The Income Tax Act Cap 340, The Accountants Act 2013, The National Audit Act 2008, The Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Act 2003, The National Social Security Fund Act Cap 222, Treasury Accounting Instruction 2017, Public Finance Management Regulation 2016, the and Kabale University Finance Management Manual 2019 and other instructions issued from time to time by the Secretary to the Treasury and/or University Accounting Officer.
Structure of the Department
The Department is structured into four sections through which all financial management outputs/services are delivered namely;
- Revenue and Grants section
- Accounts and Reporting section
- Budgeting and Monitoring section
- Assets and Stores section
Key deliverables of the department
For the period of the existence of Kabale University as a public university, the finance department has successfully achieved the following key deliverables.
- Developed the strategic plans for the University, one for the period covering the FY 2015/2016- FY 2019/2020 and another one for the period from 2020/21 to 2024/2025.
- Produced and implemented annual plans and budgets which have seen improvement in the delivery of both development and recurrent outputs in the University.
- Consistently produced and submitted quarterly/half-yearly and annual physical progress and financial reports for all the years to the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development and office of the Prime Minister.
- Successfully implemented all the three computerized financial management initiatives namely; the Integrated Financial Management System (IFMS), the Programme based Budgeting System (PBS) and the Academic Information Management System (AIMS) which have enhanced discipline, robustness, economy, efficiency and effectiveness in revenue mobilization, budgeting, budget management, financial accounting and reporting, payment management systems and financial accountability.
- Trained key stakeholders (Deans, Directors and members of management, accountants, student leaders and other cost centre managers) in the various financial management tools and enhanced their capacity in managing the affairs of their portfolios.
- Consistently provided technical advice to University Council, Management and staff for financial management systems strengthening and promotion of value-for-money outputs.
- Produced the KAB Finance Management Manual 2019 which acts as the bible for financial management system strengthening and guidance in the University.
- Consistently and efficiently stock-counted and reconciled stores and assets records every end of year to sure their effective management and accountability.
The finance department is, therefore, a support/service department to all stakeholders and programs of the University by facilitating and coordinating the efficient and regulated flow of financial transactions in order to enhance value-for-money outputs.
Duties & Responsibilities
The department is responsible for the following functions;
- To put in place sound systems for mobilization of financial resources in the University.
- To carry out financial planning and management of the University budget;
- To oversee the management of the university budget, revenues, expenditures, and stores;
- To maintain a sound financial management system with strong record-keeping, internal controls and risk management systems;
- To advise and enforce adherence to sound financial management policies, rules, procedures and professional practices in all financial and accounting transactions;
- To reconcile the books of accounts, produce and present the university final accounts and financial statements to the relevant authorities; and
- To provide technical advice on response to audit queries and mandatory inquiries whenever necessary.
- To manage supplies, assets and stores in the University to ensure their efficient and effective custody and usage and accountability.
- To develop and/or review policies relating to planning, resource mobilization and financial management in general.
- To provide technical advice to the University Council, Management, staff and student leadership on financial policy and/or management issues.
Arinaitwe PerpetuaSenior Assistant Bursar
|CPA(U); MBA; PGD. Financial Mgt; BBA; Finance Officers Dip.; Cert. in Account. Tech.; UDBS||View Profile|
Mugume HerbertAssistant Accountant
|Bsc. Fin. & Account.; Dip. BS||View Profile|
Muhindo PatienceInventory Management Officer
Baluku Kevin SemuAssistant Accountant
|MBA(KAB), PGD-FM(UMI), BBA(UCU)||View Profile|
Kabagambe RobertAssistant Accountant
|MBA; BBA; UDBS||View Profile|
Turyomunsi AmbroseAssistant Accountant
|BBA; UDBS||View Profile|
Komuhangi JacentaAssistant Accountant
Kihembo GraceAssistant Accountant
|BBA; UD BS||View Profile|
Kangala Elly KasajjaAssistant Inventory Management Officer
|Dip. SMS; Cert. PSM||View Profile|