Directorate of Graduate Training
Dr. Sekiwu Denis
Director of Graduate Studies
The purpose of this Directorate is to guide and improve graduate programs at the university and offer advice to students on academic matters. The holder is responsible to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor/ Academic Affairs and he, in turn, is Responsible for the Deputy Director/ Graduate Training.
One of the major requirements of a University in the 21st Century is to implement postgraduate education as a key contribution to the development of higher education in national, regional, and international development. This fundamental call motivated the introduction of a Directorate of postgraduate training at Kabale University with a major role in enhancing the quality of graduate education through promoting graduate studies, student research supervision, improving mentorship of graduate students and supervisors, and coordinating graduate studies across the university. The directorate of postgraduate training, therefore, fosters excellence in graduate studies. Research by providing leadership and administrative support guided by the principles of quality, diversity, and integrity.
Kabale University Directorate of Postgraduate Training works with academic units to promote excellence in graduate studies for national, regional, and international recognition. The function of the Directorate of Postgraduate Training, therefore, is to:
- Guide academic units on curriculum development and review for postgraduate courses and programmes.
- Develop a robust and internationally competitive postgraduate training framework.
- Initiate and operationalize effective strategies for increasing student enrolment in postgraduate education.
- Provide guidelines and standards on the supervision of postgraduate research students.
- Provide institutional leadership in Postgraduate Training in line with the existing policy guidelines.
- Conduct postgraduate board meetings and provide guidance and direction on postgraduate training matters.
- Provide guidance, advice to Senate on postgraduate training matters.
- Receive and scrutinize postgraduate student research outputs and advise where necessary.
- Liaise with external examiners of postgraduate research outputs and making collaborations with world-class universities in a bid to develop postgraduate education and training at Kabale University.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitors the registration status and the progress of Graduate students at different levels and in different Colleges/Schools.
- Identifies sources of and solicits for funds to support research and graduate programs.
- Coordinates research activities of the University and manages the research output; both electronic and print in liaison with relevant University Units to increase its visibility.
- Strengthens links with other universities and research institutions/organizations in Graduate research activities.
- Promotes and periodically reviews the University research agenda to reflect the priorities of the University and the Community.
- Produces an annual update report on completed and on-going research and publications in the University.
- Provides support to conferences and organizes workshops, seminars, symposia on research activities
- Develops, implements, and regularly reviews financial strategy for the Directorate.
- Develops and nurtures a culture of excellence in research at the Directorate and the University at large.
- Develops and manages the digital Academic Records for research, students, and related staff.
- Develops and maintains authors/ researchers’ intellectual property rights, copyrights, rights management, and other legal issues especially as they apply to primary research in various forms in liaison with the University Library as mandated by the Legal Deposit Act.
Denis Sekiwu is the Director of Postgraduate Training at Kabale University. He has over 23 years of teaching and administrative experience, 17 of which are in Universities. Denis Sekiwu holds a Post-Doctorate from Rhodes University (South Africa), a Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Education from Nelson Mandela University in Summerstrand (Port-Elizabeth) South Africa, a Master of Education degree from Makerere University, a Postgraduate Diploma in Education from Makerere University and a Bachelor of Social Sciences Degree (Second Class Upper) from Makerere University. His major areas of research are Philosophy of Education, higher education management and governance, Curriculum studies and teacher education, as well as development and international education. He has made several academic presentations at international conferences in Uganda, South Africa, Kenya, and the USA.
Denis Sekiwu worked as a teacher of economics and Christian Religious Education in Secondary School since 1997. From 2000 to 2003, was Head Teacher of a grade-B Boarding Secondary School. In 2003-2007, he became the principal of Buganda Royal Institute of Business and Technical Education (BRIBTE) Mengo and institute offering diplomas and certificates. In 2003, Denis Sekiwu began his career teaching in Uganda Martyrs University- Nkozi. From 2007 to 2018, he taught at Muteesa I Royal University and Ndejje University. From 2009 to 2015, Denis Sekiwu was Director of Quality Assurance at Muteesa I Royal University. In 2013, he joined public service employment at Busitema University up to 2018 as Lecturer in the Faculty of Science and Education. Denis Sekiwu became Senior Lecturer at Muteesa I Royal University in 2014. In 2018 to-date, Denis Sekiwu is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Foundations of Education at Kabale University.
Throughout his 23 years career, Denis Sekiwu has also been involved in consultancy work both at National and International Levels. For ten years (2008-2018), he has participated as lead consultant on development and implementation of several programs with the Uganda Red Cross and Merlin (Eastern Equatorial State) of the Government of Southern Sudan being projects funded by the European Union, and each of these consultancies was worth 50,000 US dollars. He has also been leading developer of a Trainer of Trainers (ToT) manual and Bridging program for a Higher Education Access Program (HEAP) of the Foundation for African Women Educationists (FAWE)-Uganda Chapter, each of the consultancies was worth 70,000 US dollars. He has also undertaken several consultancies with FAWE.
Denis Sekiwu has been part of writing two grant proposals and one of them has been funded by Makerere University Research and Innovation Fund (RIF) at 50,000 US dollars. Denis Sekiwu has submitted another grant proposal at Makerere University RIF approximated at 80,000 US Dollars. Denis Sekiwu with Francis Akena have also won another smaller institutional research grant of approximately 4,055 UD Dollars at Kabale University.
Denis Sekiwu has also served in the following capacities. He has been Head of Department of foundations of education at Busitema University, Acting Director Postgraduate Training, Research and Publications at Kabale University, Chairperson Kabale Academic Staff Association (KABASA), Academic Staff Representative to Council Kabale University. Denis Sekiwu has also served on several institutional committees both at the senate level and faculty level at Kabale University.
In the area of Research and Publications, Denis Sekiwu has published over 40 research articles in internationally Refereed Journals, three book chapters, and one book manuscript. He has supervised over 40 Masters Dissertations and three Doctorates to completion. Currently, he is supervising two Doctorate students from Ndejje and Busitema Universities. Since 2013, Denis has also externally examined over 15 Doctorates and 30 Masters Dissertations from Makerere and Nelson Mandela Universities and all these have graduated. He has participated in building capacity for both students and staff in research methodology and academic writing, small grant proposal writing, curriculum development, and strategic plan development at several universities in Uganda and South Africa. Denis is currently, program assessor for Masters and Doctorate programs at National Council for Higher Education (NCHE).
Phone Contacts: +256 772 356 434 | +256772572454 | +256785196309