Hellen Kinyi is a lecturer of medical biochemistry at the Department of Biochemistry of Kabale School of Medicine. She joined the institution in 2017 and teaches medical and nursing students.
Hellen started her lecturing career in 2005 and has taught medical biochemistry, neuro-biochemistry, nutrition and nutritional biochemistry, immunology and immunochemistry to medical, nursing and allied health professional students. She previously taught at Kabale Institute of health sciences, Clarke International University and Kampala International University. Hellen believes each student is unique and must have a stimulating educational environment. Her classes are learner-centered where she acts as a guide to the learning process.
She is undertaking her PhD in Biochemistry from Mbarara University of Science and technology. She is investigating nutrient interactions with the immune system. Her research interests include; antioxidants, non-communicable diseases, toxicity testing, nutritional biochemistry and nutritional immunology. She is among the pioneer researchers in Uganda to use Drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly) as a research model.
Hellen is a member of the Allied Health Professionals’ Council Uganda and Lions Club International.
- Master of Science, Medical Biochemistry, Kampala International University – 2013
- Bachelors of Science, Biochemistry, Kampala International University – 2009
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Community Health, Kampala International University – 2005
- Nutritional biochemistry
- Nutritional immunology
- Noncommunicable diseases
- Water safety
|2020 to present||Mr Bwambale Fred.||Toxicity testing of Burn Slim Pills||MSc. Biochemistry||Ongoing|
|2019||Mr Bwambale Fred.||Effects of burn slim pills on liver function of male wistar albino rats||BSc. Biochemistry||Completed|
|2018 to Present||Niwamanya Boaz||Evaluation of healing effects of combined aqueous extracts of Bidens pilosa and Brassica oleracea on peptic ulcers in wistar rats||MSc Biochemistry||Ongoing|
|2018||Mr. Ndinawe Johnmark
|In-vivo anti-oxidant activity of Amaranth spp and Cucurbita spp ethanolic leaf extracts.||Bachelor of Pharmacy||Completed|
|Purification of pond water using indigenous knowledge in Kabale municipality: A case study of Ngorogoza pond||BSc. Education||Completed|
|2017||Mr. Ronald Kyobe Kimanje
|Effect of the mixture of aqueous extracts of Allium cepa and Camellia sinensis on hyperlipidemic male wistar rats||MSC Biochemistry||Completed|
|2017||Sis. Imelda Ayenyo
|Effects of aqueous extract of Cleome gynandra (L.) Briq on phenylhydrazine induced hemolytic anemia in male wistar rats||MSc. Anatomy||Completed|
|2017||Mr. Baluku Isaiah||Effect of over-nutrition on the immune system of Drosophila melanogaster||Bachelor of Pharmacy||Completed|
|2017||Mr. Peter Masika||Dietary modification of gut microbiota in Drosophila melanogaster||Bachelor of Pharmacy||Completed|
|2016||Mr. Patrick Ogah
|Evaluation of fluorine levels in drinking water sources in Ishaka, Bushenyi.||Bachelor of Pharmacy||Completed|
|2016||Mr. Steve Ogolla
|Fluoride and cognitive function in Drosophila melanogaster||Bachelor of Pharmacy||Completed|
- 1st Pan-African Summer School in Nano-medicine: Pretoria South Africa, 4th-10th November 2012. (Participant and poster presentation)
- Project Proposal Writing and Resource Mobilization Skills Development Training: Makerere University, College of Education and External Studies. 26th to 27th May 2012 (Participant)
- Drosophila in Biomedical Research: Affordable and Impacting Course: Institute of Biomedical Research-Kampala International University. June 25th-July 6th 2013. (Participant).
- 2nd International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) School on Insect Neuroscience and Drosophila Neurogenetics, from August 19th to September 7th 2013 at School of Health Sciences, Kampala International University. (Participant awarded Student of the year Award).
- Applied Data Analysis with R Course from 4th to 13th June 2014: Institute of Biomedical Research-Kampala International University. (Participant)
- Grant Management Cycle workshop held at KIU Western Campus from 26th to 27th November 2014.
- Quantitative Biology Course from August 31st to September 4th 2015: Institute of Biomedical Research-Kampala International University. (Participant)
- Responsible Conduct of Scientific Research from 25th to 29th April 2016: Mbarara University of Science and Technology (Participant).
- Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics from 13th to 17th February 2017: Mbarara University Research Training Initiative Program (MURTI) (Participant)
- “IBRO-Arc Writing Papers Workshop 2017” from 7th to 10th June 2017: Entebbe (Participant)
- Effective supervision and mentorship training; Kampala International University-Western Campus 6th to 7th February 2018
- Regional Lions Leadership Institute (RLLI) Training Program 2018: 26th to 28th October 2018 (Participant)
- 4th AIBBC Pre- Conference Workshop on Flow Cytometry: Institute of Primate Research, Nairobi, Kenya on 26th-27th August 2019.
- Responsible Conduct of Research conducted by Mbarara University Research Ethics Education Programme (MUREEP) for students and staff of Kabale University. 9th-13th September 2019
- Research writing in the Social sciences, an online course organized by AuthorAid. Course duration 6 April to 25 May 2020(7 weeks). Grade: Merit
- Certificate of completion of Centonomy 101 a 12 module course on personal financial management and wealth creation 22/8/2020
- Certificate of participation for the completion of a 2 day training on Centonomy Emotional Intelligence by Trainer Mucha Mlingo of PTS Africa on 26/8/2020
- Cerificate of completion of Centonomy- Career Hub, a course on building career excellence. November 2020
- Certificate of participation in the African International Biotechnology and Biomedical Workshop in Covid-19 era: Diagnostic Cytometry. Held on the 5th-6th November 2020
- Certificate of Achievement for the successful completion of the Research4Life MOOC on Research for Health: Hinari held from the 15th February to 15th March 2021
SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS
- Kampala International University Staff development Scholarships for both B.Sc. and M.Sc. Biochemistry courses (2006 and 2010)
- Sayansi Research Fellow 2013: A research fund awarded to cover the budget of the M.Sc research.
- Research Fellowship on the Health Professions Education and Training for strengthening the health system and services in Uganda (HEPI-SHSSU), 30/10/2020. Research funds up to 4000 USD to conduct research titled: “Assessment of the effects of varying dietary macronutrient ratios on the immune system.”
- Kabale University Domestic/Internal Research Grant worth 17 million Ugandan Shillings. (Co-investigator) Topic Title: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices towards COVID-19 prevention measures among communities at selected gazette international entry points of Kigezi Sub-region Uganda.