The Kabale University Research Ethics Committee (KAB-REC) is located at Kabale University’s Main Campus on Kikungiri hill within the Directorate of Research and Publication. KAB-REC was established in response to the growing volume of research at Kabale University in Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, Computing, Information Science, and other Natural Sciences. Kabale University has an increasing number of accredited postgraduate programmes and masters and doctoral programmes requiring ethical approvals. Additionally, the growing expertise of the staff in research has resulted in significant increases in their research activities. By gaining accreditation, the KAB-REC will meet the research needs of the entire country, Kigezi region and the KAB community itself.
Functions of KAB-REC.
- To protect research participants by ensuring their profiles, rights, and wellbeing.
- Review research protocols and consider research ethics issues taking into account the diversity of research protocols, scientific merit, ethics concerns, cultural and legal implications of research.
- Provide the highest level of competence in the review process and provide timely and authoritative review and monitoring of protocols.
- Review the qualifications of all investigators participating in the proposed research protocols.
- Review the informed consent and other intended for research participants.
- Review and approve the recruitment and retention plans of research participants.
- Conduct continuing reviews for all research protocol where applicable.
- Ensure compliance by enforcing approval requirements for amended protocols before implementation by research sponsors.
- Monitor the progress of each research protocol at appropriate and specified intervals and review the summary of final report of the studies approved by the committee.
- Be independent i.e. make decisions fairly impartially and free of conflict of interest.
- Comply with the provisions of the SOPs and other applicable regulatory laws, policies and guidelines provided by UNCST., ICH and RCR.
- Update the UNCST on all decisions regarding review of initial and continuing protocols and their implementation.
- Ensure that its appropriately informed by local and international researchers working with the committee.
- Keep all information submitted to the committee confidential especially the proprietary information.
|Dr Alex Barekye||Chairpersonemail@example.com|
|Prof Everd B. Maniple||Vice firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof Kyomuhendo Bantebye Grace||Memberemail@example.com|
|Prof Anne Katahoire||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Shallon Atuheire||Memberemail@example.com|
|Ms Dorothy Mbaguta Okello||Lay Community Representative.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Akena Francis Adyanga||Memberemail@example.com|
|Prof Sarah Nachuha||Member||Snachuha@kab.ac.ug|
|Prof James Tumwine||Member||Jktumwine@kab.ac.ug|
|Mr Elifaazi Twinobuhungiro||Secretaryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Ezra Francis Munyambonera||Memberemail@example.com|
|Dr Elizabeth Nansubuga||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Standard Operating Procedures-REC
1 2 downloads
|Research Ethics Committee||March 22, 2023||Download|