Kabale University (KAB) is one of the Public Universities of Uganda. KAB enjoys the unique status of being the first university of its kind in Uganda, to metamorphose from private to public. It was established by the Parliament of Uganda through Statutory Instrument No. 36 of 16th July 2015, in accordance with The Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act (2001) (as amended). The University is looking for suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Dean of Students.
||DEAN OF STUDENTS (KAB3/3/2019)
||Tenure – 5 Year Contract
|Responsible to :
||Deputy Dean of Students, Wardens, Senior Sports Officer/ Tutor
||Kabale University, Kikungiri Campus, Kabale Municipality
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises the Vice Chancellor and other University Deputy Directors on matters relating to student welfare and discipline.
- Directs the supervision and control of the Halls of Residence and all matters related to the accommodation and feeding of both resident and non-resident students.
- Develops appropriate strategies and relevant mechanisms for mitigating and managing student conflicts and strikes.
- Directs matters related to the operations of the Students Guild, coordinating, accrediting and guiding the activities of other student associations in line with policies and regulations of the University.
- Manages the student information services in line with the University’s communication strategy.
- Liaises with University Deputy Directors for the delivery of welfare services to students including health and sanitation.
- Coordinates student leadership and career development events.
- Directs the organization and management of student sports, games and recreational activities in line with the university budgets.
- Provides administrative secretariat support services to committees managing student affairs.
- Accredits and advises on student accommodation outside the University campus and mediates between facility owners and students for provision of affordable and acceptable services.
- Sets performance targets, supervises and appraises staff of the Office.
- Advice to the Vice Chancellor and other University Deputy Directors on matters relating to student welfare and discipline tendered.
- Halls of residence and all matters related to the accommodation of both resident and non-resident students managed.
- Strategies and mechanisms for mitigating and controlling student strikes and conflicts developed.
- Student Guild operations managed and the activities of other student associations guided.
- Student information services managed in line with the approved communication strategy.
- Student welfare services delivered.
- Student leadership and career development events coordinated.
- Student sports, games and recreational activities managed.
- Secretariat services to Committees managing student’s affairs provided.
- Student accommodation outside the University campus documented and facility owners lobbied for affordable and acceptable services.
- Performance targets set and staff of the Office supervised and appraised.
- Should have a Master’s degree in either Education, Human Resource Management, Counselling, Psychology, or Sociology from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- Should have at least ten (10) years working experience in a reputable institution of higher learning, five (5) of which should have been at senior management level.
- Should have high integrity with excellent communication, leadership and people skills.
- Should be a mature person with the ability to understand student behavioral patterns, group dynamics and inspire disciplined behavior.
- Should have high emotional intelligence and the ability to critically analyze divergent student issues, problems, act proactively and concretize or establish appropriate solutions.
- Should have broad knowledge about University procedures and regulations relating to student affairs.
- Should have broad knowledge of the process and practice of arbitration, mediation and facilitating negotiation.
- Should be computer literate.
|MODE OF APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF DEAN OF STUDENTS
|Suitably qualified and interested candidates should send the following not later than 27th September 2019:
- TWO COPIES of their applications indicating the serial number of the position.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae, copies of Certified Transcripts and Certificates, Postal and Telephone Contacts, Names and Telephone Contacts of three referees.
- All in a sealed envelope clearly labelled “APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF DOS”
- Postal Address: University Secretary, Kabale University, Kikungiri Hill, Kabale Municipality, P.O Box 317, Kabale.
Hand deliver to Kabale University Kampala Liaison Office, Reev House, Plot 515, Opposite Gapco Petrol Station, Bombo Road Wandegeya Kampala.
|Kabale University is an Equal Opportunities Employer.