A sustainable vibrant Centre of excellence in teaching, learning, research and community service in the Great Lakes Region and beyond
To be an efficient pro-people university that excels in generation and dissemination of relevant knowledge and policies for skills development and attitude change for sustainable learning environment.
- Provide instruction to all those admitted to the university and to make provision for the advancement, transmission and preservation of knowledge and to stimulate intellectual life in Uganda, nationally, regionally and internationally.
- Preserve and foster the right of the university to determine the qualifications of who may teach, who may be taught, what may be taught, how it may be taught and the requirements to be admitted to study therein.
- Impact university education within Uganda, with particular emphasis on scientific, vocational and technological education and their application to development and for that purpose, to work with other appropriate bodies in the planned development of higher education.
- Conduct examinations for and grant degrees, diplomas, certificates and other awards in the manner provided by the rules of the university.
- Admit to the university candidates for degrees, diplomas, certificates or other awards of the university and to confer the same on worthy candidates.
- Confer the degree of doctor honouris causa and other honorary awards which the university may wish to confer upon any person who has rendered distinguished service in the advancement of any branch of learning or who has otherwise rendered himself/herself worthy of such an award.
- Seek and provide ways and means of generating income for sustenance.
- Promote quality education in business, arts, social sciences, science, technical, communications and cultural fields through the provision of instruction to those admitted to the university and to stimulate a spirit of enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Promote and undertake the development and sustenance of research and publication in business, arts, social sciences, sciences, technical, cultural, communications, environmental education and other related areas.
- Assist the disadvantaged and/or deserving men and women, through scholarships or donations either to individuals or to charitable organizations.
- Render community service.
- Innovative problem-based learning and teaching;
- Community –oriented approaches;
- Knowledge creation and research excellence;
- Institutional efficiency and effectiveness;
- Ethics and quality assurance.
All this to be achieved on the basis of a “University without wall” that builds partnerships with all stakeholders.