Under section 40 of the University and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2003 (as amended) of Uganda, the University Council is the supreme organ of a Public University. By this law the University Council is responsible for the overall administration of the University and ensures the due implementations of the objects and functions of the University Council.
Functions of the University Council:
- Be responsible for the direction of the administrative, financial and academic affairs of the University.
- Formulate the general policy of the Public University;
- Give general guidelines to the administration and academic staff of the University on matters relating to the operations of the University;
- Do any other thing and take all necessary decisions conductive to the fulfillment of the objects and functions of the University.
In performing its functions, the University Council has the following powers:
- Represent the University in all legal suits by and against the Public University;
- Receive gifts, donations, grants or other moneys and make disbursements as may be required, on behalf of the University;
- Fix scales of fees and boarding charges;
- Make statutes under this Act;
- Establish faculties, departments, boards and courses of study and approve proposals for the creation or establishment of constituent colleges;
- Provide for the welfare and discipline of the students;
- Approve the University budget proposals and the final accounts submitted by the management;
- Approve the appointment of Deans and Deputy Deans of faculties.
Achievements of the Current University Council:
Since its conception as a Public University Council on 29th February 2016, Kabale University Council working hand in hand with the University Management and Senate has considered and approved various structures, staff and students’ related policies relevant to the University’s Public Status. They include:
Establishment of relevant committees of Council and these include:
- The Appointments Board,
- The Students’ Affairs and Disciplinary Committee,
- The Audit & Risk Management Committee,
- The Finance, Planning & Resource Mobilization Committee,
- The Estates & Works Committee.
Formulation of University Policies (for staff and students).
- The Human Resource Manual, 2016 (as amended),
- Job Descriptions & Person Specifications Manual,
- Staff Establishment (Structure) also approved by the Ministry of Public Service,
- Staff Development & Academic Growth Policy,
- Research Policy,
- Directorate of Graduate Studies Policy,
- The Strategic Plan 2016/2017 – 2019/2020,
- The Students’ Guild Constitution (2017),
- The Games & Sports Union Constitution (2017),
- The Sports and Games Union Policy,
- Kabale University Debt Policy (2017).