Prof. George Mondo Kagonyera
Ph.D Comparative Pathology (California), MSc (California),
B.V.Sc (Nairobi), Cert. Ed (Nairobi)
Professor George Mondo Kagonyera (PhD Comparative Pathology-California) is the current Chancellor of Kabale University. George Mondo Kagonyera, is a Ugandan veterinarian, politician, academic, and university administrator. In 1967, he worked as a District Veterinary Officer for Masaka District for about five months which job he dropped to go for further studies. In 1971, following graduation from the University of California with his Master of Science degree, Kagonyera joined Makerere University as a Lecturer. He was instrumental in establishing the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, which has since morphed into the College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources & Biosecurity. He also served as the Chairperson Makarere University appointments Board from 1993 until 1999. He left the University to join Ugandan politics in 1998.
As a politician, he served as the Member of Parliament for Rubabo Constituency in Rukungiri District and as Minister for Animal Resources, and Minister for General Duties in the Office of the Prime Minister. He also served as the Deputy Managing Director of the Ugandan National Social Security Fund from 2006 until 2008.
Prof. Kagonyera served as Chancellor of Makerere University, the oldest and largest university in Uganda. He was appointed to that position in 2007 by President Yoweri Museveni. After serving a full four year-term, he was re-appointed for another term in 2011, and was re-installed in January 2012. He left his service at Makerere and was subsequently appointed the Chancellor of Kabale University. In addition to all the above achievements, Professor Kagonyera continues to serve Uganda as Senior Presidential Advisor on politics in the Kigezi Region.
The Chancellor is responsible to the Visitor who is the President of the Republic of Uganda. The Chancellor is also responsible to the University Council which is the oversight governance organ of the University. He is directly responsible for the Vice Chancellor and indirectly the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic Affairs) and the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Finance and Administration). The purpose of the Chancellor’s job is to provide the titular headship of the University. In the discharge of this, the Chancellor performs the following duties and responsibilities: –
Leadership and Authority
- Presides at all ceremonial assemblies of the University.
- Confers degrees and other academic titles and distinctions in the name of the University.
- Causes visitation of the University by a person or persons for the purposes specified in the directive.
- Appoints the Vice Chancellor of the University on the recommendation of the University Council.
- Appoints Deputy Vice Chancellors on the recommendation of the University Council
- Appoints Principals of Constituent Colleges of the University on the recommendation of the University Council.
Responsibility to the Visitor
- Causes visits to the University by the Visitor or as instructed by the Visitor and makes available any facilities or assistance as may be required in accordance with the law.
- Causes action on recommendations of reports of visitation as instructed by the Visitor in accordance with the law.